New Young Pony Club (english version)
New Young Pony Club played a truly, madly and deeply pop show in Milan that takes our hearts away. The London’s quartet, that is supporting Katy Perry European Tour, give us some impressions about their music, tour, new projects and much more.
We had a little conversation together and let’s see what they told us:
1. what about your first gig in Italy? what kind of expectations did you have?
NYPC: It was our first show on this tour so we didn’t know what to expect. It was crazy though!
2. Being the supporter band of Katy Perry’s tour is a opportunity for you to be known also outside the new rave/electro pop world, isn’t it? do you think Katy’s fan could be your fans?
NYPC: Yes we have made some fans from this tour already and that was the main reason for doing it. Just like Katy we have great pop songs at the heart of what we do. We just present them in a different way.
3. Tell us something about katy: what do you think about her music? and about her spectacular stage?
NYPC: Her catering is very nice! And yes the show is a spectacular too.
4. Talking about you, let’s introduce yourselves to italian people: how did you met each other and set up the band?
NYPC: Me (Andy) and Tahita met through friends and wrote some songs one of which was released on a small label. Then we asked the people we knew to join the band.
5. Talking about your new album “The Optimistic” reviewers considered it darker than your first album, but it could be considered just a bit more mature than the first one, instead of darker?
NYPC: Of course! Maybe it’s because we had such a bright colourful image before. We got a bit tired of this after 3 years so decided to change.
6. We read that you have self-produced this album: do you think success met the expectations?
NYPC: Yes we always take care of production as it’s part of our sound. The success of the production totally met expectations. As for the commercial success of the album…. no comment.
7. What was the most important moment in you career, until now?
NYPC: Being nominated for a Mercury prize is about as good as it gets in the UK.
8. Any plans for the future?
NYPC: We are writing our third album now and hope to release something this year. We are also starting a soundsystem show which hopefully will allow us to play in some clubs and countries we have not played in yet.